Let there be light! If ever there was an "Exhibit A" for Nanny State overreach, it is the Federal Law that extinguishes Thomas Edison's incandescent bulb in 2012. In exchange, we get the mercury laden squiggly bulb that lets off a greenish-garish light instead of the warm glow of the gentle bulb. God bless my birth state Texas - they have taken a stand (again) for independence: "Texas Light Bulb Bill Will Skirt Federal Plan."
Illustrative of how perverse this whole idea was, look no further than the people that brought this madness to our doors: the EPA - this is from THEIR website on how to clean up one of those squiggly CFL Bulbs:
Before cleanupYou can download the THREE PAGE INSTRUCTIONS by clicking here. How many bureaucrat gnomes worked on these jewels. What comes next Mommy State - instructions on how to properly use papel de toilette?
- Have people and pets leave the room.
- Air out the room for 5-10 minutes by opening a window or door to the outdoor environment.
- Shut off the central forced air heating/air-conditioning system, if you have one.
- Collect materials needed to clean up broken bulb:
- stiff paper or cardboard;
- sticky tape;
- damp paper towels or disposable wet wipes (for hard surfaces); and
- a glass jar with a metal lid or a sealable plastic bag.
- Be thorough in collecting broken glass and visible powder.
- Place cleanup materials in a sealable container.
- Promptly place all bulb debris and cleanup materials outdoors in a trash container or protected area until materials can be disposed of properly. Avoid leaving any bulb fragments or cleanup materials indoors.
- If practical, continue to air out the room where the bulb was broken and leave the heating/air conditioning system shut off for several hours.
Speaking of the government selling a bill of goods - I've been revisiting some of the movie reels of the 1930's when FDR's administration was doing it's best "Remain calm, all is well" stance:
Here's a doozy about how "old man depression" had the black folk down - why "one in six" didn't have a job (among blacks 18-30, the number is now 1 in 4). Think you could ever get this one to press now?
It wasn't true then, and the bi-polar whipsaw between fear-mongering and all is well isn't true now either.
Hey, speaking of fear mongering, we haven't heard from our good ol' grinnin' gruntin' Algore lately. He doesn't allow his talks to be filmed anymore - you are about to see why - but someone snuck a Flip camera in to catch some more of his tomfoolery:
Hat tip Watts Up With That.
What is up with the all brown look? Is this a brown version of Dr. Evil? Or an earth toned Kim Jong (Mentally) Il? But the bigger issue is this - how's that population control working out for China? They now have a rapidly aging population that will not have a younger cohort to finance their pensions. How about Europe? The only folks producing there are the Muslims - welcome to the new Caliphate. The reality is that as population groups become prosperous, they naturally have fewer children. We don't need Uncle Al to show us where to put the IUD. For now, in the words of a certain massage therapist: "Get off me you big sex poodle!"
That's it for now.