Monday, January 25, 2010

Citizens United Versus FEC Versus Stupidity

I've heard a lot of phooey about how corporations are now going to ruin elections in the wake of the Supreme Court deciding for Citizens United against the Federal Election Commission.  This short film by Cato Institute puts the argument in perspective:




What are we afraid of?  Why do so many of you need the gov'ment to tell you what you should or should not listen too?  Have we no faith in our own ability to discern whether an ad is misleading or not? Note, the decision must be a good one if Obama and the rest of the Democrats are trying to figure out ways of achieving the same end, now that they have lost the judicial argument.


Who knows, maybe if this ruling had been in place before the last election, Obama would not have been elected!  Then we could avoid emotional train wrecks like Jill Dorson's piece over at Real Clear Politics:

I am a registered Independent. I voted for Barack Obama. And for that, I am sorry.

I'm not sorry for you. I'm sorry for me. Because I voted for Obama for me, not for you. I voted for hope and change and all the intangibles that Obama was peddling in the wake of the financial crisis, Sarah Palin, Sept. 11 and all the other ills that shook our country in the last decade. I wanted something new. Something different. What I got was, I suppose, exactly what I voted for - a spin doctor. 
After fighting off the urge to want to puke on the keyboard or reach through the screen and choke this twit who equates Sarah Palin with 9/11, I calmed down and read on hoping to perhaps understand the thinking of an Obama voter.  It's rich:
 Obama was so convincing that I stopped caring about what he knew and started getting caught up in the euphoria. Imagine having a president who came from a broken home, who had money troubles, who did grass-roots community service? A young father. The first black president. It pains me to admit I got caught up in the hoopla.
The comments that follow this sanctimonious twaddle are hysterical!  Point of all this, is what we need is MORE free speech, not less.  The fate of a republic depends on a well educated populace.  This piece by Dorson is illustrative of what the nanny state can produce for voters.  Hope and change and feelings! Oh, oh, oh, feelings...we are living through the Mencken adage: "The American people deserve what they get and they are going to get it good and hard!"

No comments: